THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Mouthpiece size, I have a theory?????
PostPosted: 23.04.2009, 19:55 

Hi all,

Mouthpiece size, I have a theory?????
Its got more to do with playability and quality than you know!

Theory:
When a didge player walks upto a rack of 20 didges at an event for instance, he or she can play 5 to 10 ok, but out of the 5 to 10, 1 or 2 will sing as how it plays appeals to the player instantly. I think this is highly down to the fact that the feel and size of the mouthpiece is perfect for that individual whereas it would not be so for the next person etc etc

I used to buy many didges thinking it was solely the instrument that made the difference and after having over 100 different types passing through my hands i have come to realise that the mouthpiece could be more important than the overall stick itself.

Results:
If i play a didge with a 26mm mouthpiece then the stick litterally hums and sings but if i play the same stick at 28 or 30mm for instance it sounds more statically and hissy etc, i have repeated this test over 5 different didges so far including the original slidedige which started at 32mm

Conclusion:
I would like to know if someone out the will invent or make me something so that all my didge mouthpiece sizes will be a constant 26mm in diameter.
In my collection of 8 playing didges the mouth sizes vary from 26mm upto 32mm.

Help:

I dont wish to spend endless hours re making mouthpieces from milliput so someone needs to come up with the easiest solution and if its easy to apply then i will potentially buy it.

I appreciate that the original opening sizes and dimentions will be different on each didge so I think either a wooden or rubber cone type thing that can be placed tightly into the mouthpiece of any didge which will perfectly seal the original hole completely and offer me a perfect 26mm opening.

If you can offer any help with the research or manufacture of this item let me know as i would be more than happy to test it out.

Any thoughts or positive feedback welcome, especially from didge makers or others that have tried similar tests?

PS This wasnt a real clinical science test but the results and request is genuine!

Thanks
NDC

Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece size, I have a theory?????
PostPosted: 24.04.2009, 07:48 

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Well if you've got 8 didjes that's not gonna take you a lifetime to model each one's mouthpiece, is it ?
8 is not enough to start up an industrial process :lol:

Just buy a big loaf of beeswax, melt it all down and get on to it !
You'll only have to count 1 hour if you're renewing your 8 mouthpieces in a row !

PostPosted: 24.04.2009, 09:35 

hello there
first of all: ahaw is right.. ..with 8 sticks this process wont take a lifetime'

..and yes. i've already tried a little bit with mothpieces. if u still want to run an "industrial" process :lol: find someone who makes you wooden "rings" ..with your desired inner diameter, maybe with 5mm wall and 10mm in hight! apply that with beewax. simple batchwork. done.

by the way ...26mm. thats small!! :shock: ..but as you wrote, its a personal thing

greets

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.04.2009, 10:06 

In my opinion different instruments perform better with different sized mouthpieces depending upon bore size, backpressure and, most importantly, pitch (key). Lower instruments perform much better with bigger mouthpieces and for this reason I would not suggest creating a 'uniform' mouthpiece for them all.

As Francis mentions, it would not take too long to make mouthpieces to your specification for only 8 instruments so get the Milliput out and start forming!

PostPosted: 24.04.2009, 13:19 

kdidj wrote:
In my opinion different instruments perform better with different sized mouthpieces depending upon bore size, backpressure and, most importantly, pitch (key). Lower instruments perform much better with bigger mouthpieces and for this reason I would not suggest creating a 'uniform' mouthpiece for them all.

That's very true ! And it implies that you don't even have to use milliput ! Only test and re-shape !
That's what's cool with beeswax (beyond the good smell sticking in the moustache !) :lol:

ngarti wrote:
by the way ...26mm. thats small!!

And I agree with that too... but it must depend on the mouth's shape as much as on the didj's.

PostPosted: 24.04.2009, 20:09 

I could easily manufacture a bunch of Wooden donuts with whatever internal/external diameter you want. Then you would just need to attach them with glue/resin or beeswax. That said, I agree with the others in that I feel different pitched instruments need different mouthpiece shapes. I also prefer a different lip radius or bite, depending on the pitch and overall feel of the stick.

Personally, I would not want the same mouthpiece on all my sticks.

PostPosted: 25.04.2009, 17:36 

kdidj wrote:

As Francis mentions, it would not take too long to make mouthpieces to your specification for only 8 instruments so get the Milliput out and start forming!

I agree, particularly with respect to instrument size. Can you imagine trying to play a tuba or sousaphone with a mouthpiece the size of a bugle? You'd be popping more than a few blood vessels trying to blow enough air through the mouthpiece to get the proper sound out the other end of the instrument!

Profile E-mail