THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:39

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Didgeridoo made out of a 170cm rainstick???
PostPosted: 25.08.2008, 10:21 

Good morning all, im finally off to the workshop today to make the beast. 25th Aug.

I shall update people when i see what sort of a monster it becomes, sayeth frankenstein the didge maker!!

Pete

Post subject: Its Nearly Alive Didgeridoo rainstick???
PostPosted: 25.08.2008, 21:14 

The cactus stick: an update.

Well after removing the ends and emptying the contents ( to my suprise it was gravel??? ) we removed the spines and filled the holes with a mix of pva glue and sawdust.
We did a few coats then an hour later i made a quick wax mouthpiece and gave it a blow!!
To our horror we found that sound wouldnt travel as the stick was not dense due to the insides being like balsa wood with thin veigns all the way along the length.
We decided to fill the inside with pva glue to give the walls some substance, another waste of time as it didnt help.

I thought ok im peed off now so lets just throw it away!

Then came my urika moment, I always play plastic pipes at work as a plumber so i measured the internal hole and decided to try and put a 1.5 inch wide waste pipe down its whole length, it put it up the bottom end approx 13 cm and it would move any more so i cut it off and set about putting the tube down the other end.
We capped off the tube and started hitting it with a hand sledge heammer to force it down the cactus`s throat.

The tube went down about 50cm and then the cactus started to split, we carried on hitting the plastic tube with the hammer and forced it all the way in until it met up with the bit fed in at the bottom.

We then set about trying string around the damaged part, approx 75cm and once the string was attached we decided to paint our hands in different colours so that we could decorate the didge with personal markings.

The string and artwork was sealed with pva and varnish, the didge is not drying and then it will be sent to a friends house to have as milliput mouthpiece put onto it.

It sounds like a cross between a wood didge with the nice ring of a plastic didge.
Im happy with it and im happy with the way it sounds so far.

I shall post some pics and a sound file when its back from the mouthpiece maker around the 4th of oct.

It looks a really odd item but is definately sings when you play it!!!!

PostPosted: 25.08.2008, 21:27 

YOu ain't right son :lol: ,your more warped than me ,that's a good thing (creativeity) 8)

:mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 26.08.2008, 16:54 

ahhh, not so spooky. just sucky. im sorry for your down PC. thats never fun..

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

Post subject: FINISHED! Didgeridoo made out of a 170cm rainstick???
PostPosted: 15.05.2010, 14:16 

SeriousJohn wrote:
Pete, assuming this is you as well, why do you have two user names? It's a bit confusing.

Sorry about that, theres only one user name for me now which is this one!

I re-joined as my pc wnet down and I lost all details about users and passwords and websites etc it was a grim time!!

Anyhoo heres an update regarding the rain stick didge! ITS FINISHED!!!! Yippeeeee

The good and the bad

I found that it was way too porus even after half a gallon of pva, so I decided to ran an inch and a quarter waste pipe down the middle.

Yes the rain stick split! but after weighing up the options we banged the tube home with hammers, once it was all the way through we tied string soaked in pva glue along the body length about 1 meter to totally cover the split.
We then cut the ends of the pipe and made a milliput mouthpiece for it and decorated it with hand prints of different colours which represents our changing moods during making it!

It plays very well indeed and its lost its plastic sound and produces a nice and deep C# drone which is comparable in sound and pitch to my fine ironbark didge.

Overall, if I had known it was not going to work without thre plastic tube inside then I would have kept it as a rain stick!

Its a cracking stick now but not worth all the years of effort put into it!

PostPosted: 16.05.2010, 15:37 

Well, that's why I suggested epoxy when you asked for suggestions. Epoxy is pretty awful to work with but there's nothing more effective against porousness and splitting.

PostPosted: 21.05.2010, 04:52 

Personally, I wouldn't put PVA anywhere near timber that will be exposed to moisture...We used to use PVA (cemstick) as a 1st coat sealant on stucco ,concrete block and maisonary surfaces, not wood. ...When moisture is applied to PVA coated timber it eventually perishes it.

Bazza

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 06.01.2012, 19:43 

It wasnt until I re-visited this thread that I again picked up the rain stick and gave it a good old play!

Id forgotten how much time and effort me and a friend had put into making it and getting it to a finished state

Its still as good as it was all those years ago but If you buy a rain stick keep it as a rainstick!!

Thanks
Didgeridoo Pete

Profile E-mail