THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 10.12.2018, 01:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Didgeridoo made out of a 170cm rainstick???
PostPosted: 24.06.2008, 12:40 

Hi all, I have a 170cm long rainstick ( Quisco & Copado cactus ) and im wondering if anyone has made a didgeridoo from one before? as im after some tips before i open it up and remove the internal cactus spines and stones etc.

Simple questions like:

Would i need to coat the inside, and with what?

The outside would be varnished whats the best to show the beauty of the wood and to fully seal the old cactus holes from it being a rainstick?

etc etc any help would be graciously recieved

Its similar to this one and eventhough they look porus they are still fully waterproof when dead and hollowed.

If you are wondering why make one out of a rainstick in the first place? Its because to wood is very light, very strong and looks like no other wood ive seen as the shades of coulour, wood grain and indentation patterns are absolutely stunning.

Thanks
Pete

Post subject: Re: Didgeridoo made out of a 170cm rainstick???
PostPosted: 24.06.2008, 13:56 

It a beautifully crafted traditionaly built rain stick :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24.06.2008, 14:22 

Hi Pete

While the "wood" may be strong, I don't think the density will be sufficient for good resonance and a nice sound. You'll have to pull out all those spines one by one, probably not easy, often they're glued when they're stuck in, and then fill all those holes. OTOH, you could try just leaving the spines in. And yes, I think you'd have to seal it as the inside is pretty porous. To kill two birds with one stone, you could seal it with epoxy: this would also bump the density up massively. Erm, and make it sound like epoxy-bored sticks sound, dunno if you like that.

PostPosted: 24.06.2008, 17:12 

The spines are almost all falling out anyway and i think filling the holes that i can see with a wood glue and sawdust solution would work, then a few coats of clear varnish would seal it on the outside and then some dutch oil on the inside to seal it inside.

Surely that would work best???

I also think that whatever spines cant be removed can stay inside it aswell as im not going to try to break them from the inside.

And to top it all a nice milliput mouthpiece.

I think its worth a go and i might just have a crack at it when i get back from poland mid july.

Keep any help and info coming as it all helps!!!

Pete

PS It might be a nice rainstick but it just doesnt get used anymore so its possibly near the time to convert it to something re-usable and more usable.

PostPosted: 29.06.2008, 00:52 

This post reminded me of another species of plant that is similar to the didjeridu. It is a species of cecropia that has hollow branches that serve as home to ants. Supposedly, indigenous folk in South America made musical instruments out of these branches, giving rise to the nickname "Trumpet Tree", but I haven't been able to find any examples of these instruments. Below is a link:

http://www.tropilab.com/cecrop-pal.html

Last edited by SpookyHollowSticks on 03.08.2008, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Didgeridoo made out of a 170cm rainstick???
PostPosted: 31.07.2008, 19:41 

Hi all, i havent had time yet to make the didge out of the rain stick but i have made contact with a friend whos number i had lost who is a carpenter for a living and also makes his own didges.

He has generously allowed me upto 3 days full access to his workshop in a few weeks time as works drops off in summer for him for some reason??

I shall take some pics and keep everyone informed.

Didgeridoo Pete

PS Before the rainstick is opened does anyone know whats inside that makes the sounds???? as they seem very light whatever they are???? what else can i use them for i wonder?????

PostPosted: 31.07.2008, 22:30 

Hi Pete
I got one that is 2feet long that I picked for one doller at a garage sale.I just had to take it apart to see what made it work and found a bunch of pebbles about 3.5MM in dia.and cactus needles embeded in the cactus stalk.Ithink I would leave the needles in place to start with then consider removing them.
I guess some kind of seed could be used in place of the pebbles :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31.07.2008, 22:54 

Quote:
what else can i use them for i wonder?????

If you have a didge with too low a backpressure then toss some varnish in the bore and let it dry to the tacky state then toss in the pebbles or seeds into bore then let dry completely.Repeat until you feel it is just right. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.08.2008, 07:50 

Yep good idea John !
Or you could also use them as decoration on the outside.

So where are you up to with this Rain-Didj ?
Finished ? Sounds good ? Looks good ? Have any picts ? :bounce:

PostPosted: 01.08.2008, 16:13 

Hi Ahaw
I am not making a Rain-Didj,Pete is

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01.08.2008, 17:56 

I know John ! :D

I was talking about your "peebles-in-the-bore" idea :wink:

Post subject: 22nd Aug should be the making day, hopefully anyway??
PostPosted: 16.08.2008, 15:21 

Hi all, Ok here goes: after going to lots more didge festivals in the uk Ive finally got some time with the person who has the wood workshop.
I have spoke to him today and me, him and the rain stick should be being took apart and made into a didge hopefully this coming friday ( 22 aug ).

As for sealing the stick Im intent on leaving the spines in that i cant get out and sanding down the ends and i shall fill it with a wood / sawdust mix to fill the holes, when its been sanded i shall seal the insides with dutch oil or pva and the outside with clear varnish.
The mouthpiece will be made of milliput as its a big hole thats going to take some filling to get it to around 28mm.

I shall keep you all posted and let you know if its any good or simply a waste of a nice rainstick that sounded like frying bacon!

Pete

PS I have no idea yet what to do with the few spines that are removed and also the whatevers are inside it?

PostPosted: 16.08.2008, 22:14 

Pete, assuming this is you as well, why do you have two user names? It's a bit confusing.

PostPosted: 17.08.2008, 06:09 

oohhhh, spooky. 8)

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

PostPosted: 25.08.2008, 10:19 

SeriousJohn wrote:
Pete, assuming this is you as well, why do you have two user names? It's a bit confusing.

Hi my pc crashed and i had to quickly buy another and i had lost all the details stored on it hence i had to re-join many www places and couldn`t remember what i ogiginally joined under hence it seems like 2 different user names.

I hate computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete