THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 23.11.2017, 15:34

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cheap but great sounding Plaster and cardboard roll didge
PostPosted: 06.10.2015, 10:48 

I read the Didgeridoo Phenomenon and wanted to make one of the didges they said were good.

This is a great sounding didge for those who have no access to wood working tools, but want a didge that plays great for a small price.

My didge was made to these specifications: First number is diameter, second number is length.

30mm x 30mm (mouthpiece - milliput epoxy)
38mm x 845mm long (cardboard roll)
51mm x 204mm (plaster piece 1)
63mm x 154mm (plaster piece 2)
76mm x 153mm (plaster piece 3)
93mm x 241mm (plaster piece 4)

I found some toilet rolls the right size at K-Mart which make up around 1/2 the length and epoxy glued these back to back. This worked out nice and straight. For the next tube sections, I found tubes the right size and wrapped material plaster around them to make the tube. These are easy to make as you can heat the plaster up in the microwave and have it set fast in a few minutes - I hate waiting for things to dry!. Once I made the plaster sections, I glued them together with epoxy glue and used spack filler to shape the outside. I then poured epoxy into the bore. You need to be careful with this as cardboard rolls can break down a bit when doing this - use a little and do it twice, rather than use a lot once. I am going to finish it off with an epoxy mouthpiece and epoxy the outside to make it stronger. It sounds really good. The cost was pretty much the epoxy coat, milliput and the plaster.

I ended up with a D# with a toot just under an E.

Hope this helps some first timers out there who want a good sounding didge the first time.

Profile E-mail