All times are UTC + 1 hour

Marijuana useage?
Yay! 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Neigh! 35%  35%  [ 5 ]
Sometimes... 42%  42%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.04.2008, 23:01 

From what I can see, and from what little I know, it seems that Aboriginal Australians have little to no cultural history with mind-altering substances. When cultures like that come into contact with such substances it is usually very difficult for them to enter into good relationships with those substances. They just don't have a cultural framework in place to create moderate usage (ie abundant personal examples of moderate use), so abuse, not conscientious use, becomes rampant. That is something to take into consideration when encountering and introducing substances to other cultures. However, the cultural contact has been made so like it or not substances are going to remain in Arnhem Land. Objectively, I think its a lot better for them to be smoking marijuana than sniffing gas or getting absolutely smashed on alcohol. At least weed won't kill ya if you take too much. I am not suggesting its use should be promoted among indigenous communities, but its not the devil, it doesn't make people kill themselves. Dissatisfied and demoralized youth, especially those who experience cultural discrimination tend toward destructive behaviors a lot of the time. They will do this with or without substances. If the underlying lack of opportunity and self determination is addressed the substance abuse problems will level out, as will many of the other problems. Drug abuse problems in communities represent rampant escapism.

On another note, I am surprised to see so much anti-ganja propaganda coming from the people on this site. I know many educated, successful, and intelligent people who partake regularly. I don't feel my brain has turned to mush, despite pretty regular use over the years. The substance is pretty benign by comparison to virtually any other drug people take. I don't want to get into an argument about the pros and cons of its use or the legitimacy of marijuana research, but the plant itself is one of the most useful known to human kind. I don't think that Kind Vapour was wrong or offensive for asking a question about its use among indigenous Australians. I thought the poll was just to get a sense of the opinions of others on this site regarding the substance, not how they feel about Aborigines using it. Quite frankly its none of my business what another person chooses to put in their body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.04.2008, 02:11 

*bows appreciatively to Gopal*

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.04.2008, 16:22 

Quote:
I am surprised to see so much anti-ganja propaganda coming from the people on this site. I know many educated, successful, and intelligent people who partake regularly

So someone disagrees, and clams that there are potential health risks wth weed and that's anti-ganja propaganda

My friend whom sited earlyer is very intellgent (he's a PhD chemist)

the sad thng is he's a mess socially and his life revolves around weed - the sadest part for me is he's a really nce guy but people treat him as a bit of a joke

Each to there own (agreed - what you put in your body is your business) but cannabis induced phsycosis cannont just be dismissed as "anit-ganja propaganda"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13.04.2008, 23:25 

flyangler18 wrote:
I find your poll a little offensive, KV. Rampant alcoholism and drug abuse are causing lots of problems in Arnhemland communities- there's a reason that Maningrida is called 'Jamaica' by local residents.

I fact, I am going to edit this and pull back. Too tired to think now.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.04.2008, 18:57 

Paul wrote:

Each to there own (agreed - what you put in your body is your business) but cannabis induced phsycosis cannont just be dismissed as "anit-ganja propaganda"

Well, I don't want to get too heavily into this debate, but I disagree. I think the "cannabis induced psychosis" can be considered propaganda. The studies that have been done are correlational, not causal. Just because there is a correlation between psychosis and marijuana use doesn't mean they its causal. I think the biggest evidence against causality in this regard is that schizophrenia rates have remained stable or declined in the last 50 years, yet the rate of marijuana smoking has increased a lot during that time. If marijuana caused schizophrenia, there would have been an increase in cases during that time. Source

As much as I see the correlation studies presented as proof of causality in the media, I would say its anti-ganja propaganda.

I am sorry that you feel your friend is dysfunctional in areas of his life. I would like to point out that lots of well educated and intelligent people are dysfunctional for a wide variety of reasons. Lots of things can become a vice for people. In my opinion, having your life revolve around one thing becomes dysfunctional no matter what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.04.2008, 19:13 

Quote:
I think the "cannabis induced psychosis" can be considered propaganda.

i absolutely agree (however there is always a small number or statistic who will respond to any substace to the extreme negitive. it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round) but I chose not to say anything to the contrary for fear of pissing off "the man" LOL i won't go into this further, but i totally agree, and found very very little in my 14 years of research (serious research) that would support the "cannabis induced psychosis" bit.
but i appreciate anyone who anything on this topic. Not to say one is right the other is wring, but just share and learn.

KV

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.04.2008, 22:09 

Wow

Chakras Chi Vibrations healing = Real

Cannabis induced physcosis = Propanganda

Me thinks maybe you believe what you want to believe and not neccesarily what is evidence based

How much weed do you guys smoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.04.2008, 00:22 

I posted a link to a serious scientific paper to back up my thinking on the subject. I don't see how that's simply believing what I want to believe. I may want to believe as I do, but I try my best to approach it objectively.

Like Ben, I am not really sure exactly what constitutes cannabis induced psychosis. I thought at first it was referring to cannabis causing schizophrenia-like disorders, but the paper that Paul links to seems to indicate that it refers to an acute state that happens after ingestion, and that those who have such reactions are more likely to develop schizophrenia or something similar in the future. I don't disagree with that notion. I certainly wouldn't suggest that no one has bad reactions to it. I have seen people smoke too much and think they are dying or having a heart attack. If thats what's referred to as "cannabis induced psychosis," then I too believe its real. I would also believe that there would be a higher percentage of this population sub-set that will go on to experience persistent mental troubles in the future. I still don't think cannabis causes psychosis, but I am willing to concede that bad drug reactions could serve as a marker for possible future troubles. I think anyone who has a tendency toward bad reactions on any mind-altering drug would probably do better to avoid that drug in the future.

I didn't mention my feelings on chakra healing, but I am willing to bite the red herring. I have had similar treatments a few times(energy healing/rieki). I must admit, it did seem like it did affected the energy in my body, and I had a pretty strong emotional experience. Nothing scientific, just my personal experience, and no I wasn't stoned.

Finally, my cannabis use is, quite frankly, none of your business. However, if you really want to know and are not just asking as a rhetorical dig at my intelligence, then I will tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.04.2008, 03:03 

Wow. Gopal, i'm really impressed. :shock:
you took the words right out of my mouth. i don't even need to comment further, other than i'm 100% with you.
8)

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.04.2008, 09:26 

Quote:
Finally, my cannabis use is, quite frankly, none of your business. However, if you really want to know and are not just asking as a rhetorical dig at my intelligence, then I will tell you.

Yes it was a rhetorical dig - I do agree that your cannabis use is your business and wasn't expecting a response - sorry if it came across as a slight on your intelligence, that wasn't my intention - ultimatly your are participating in a web poll on cannabis use

From my point of view I think debate here is futile - I'm not particually interested in using cannabis personally and it is evident that our interests in didj are very different.

Goodluck with the didjing

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 02:41 

Quote:
From my point of view I think debate here is futile - I'm not particually interested in using cannabis personally and it is evident that our interests in didj are very different.

Thats cool, I didn't want to get into any heated debate, I agree this one has gone far enough. I don't see why you think we have different interests in didjing though. I am into yirdaki and traditional playing styles. I am not very good, but its my main area of focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 08:56 

Quote:
I don't see why you think we have different interests in didjing though. I am into yirdaki and traditional playing styles. I am not very good, but its my main area of focus.

Sorry Gopal

I was thinking you more into the healiing side - Good to hear your a fellow tradist :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 17:32 

yes, Tis I that is a contemporary player. (not healer LOL) just not (so far anyway) a Trad player.
Maybe its just me and my lack of EXP, but the trad sticks sound "gritty" and somewhat muffled.

I bet thatll change if i ever get to play one though...
im a didgeri-maverick. a loner. so since i have no one to teach me one way or another, ill be carving my own path and finding my own styles.

That is unless someone around south east US, would be willing to show me a few things.... untill then my didge choices are based on sound quality first off, and visual appeal second. Say if im gonna be busking, ill need a loud boomer (since i have no mic setup thats portable) It seems as though i need a concert class stick for maximum non-amplified sounds. (which is why im looking at that Stix 422)

but like i said, all that could change, if i try a trad stick. i may fall in love hard and fast. most others have... but untill i can try one, i doubt id be able to afford a yidaki anyway. $700+ is pushing it... at least right now anyway...
KV

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 17:44 

Quote:
yes, Tis I that is a contemporary player. (not healer LOL) just not (so far anyway) a Trad player.
Maybe its just me and my lack of EXP, but the trad sticks sound "gritty" and somewhat muffled.

Gritty and somewhat muffled isn't a bad description of the trad sound to me - Dry is poss another word I'd use

You can always get your hands on a cheaper split hollow - yidaki style stick

This is what I play the most, less expensive (though certainly not comparable to the real thing) and you can play the hell out of em' without fear of them spliting

If you ask one of the good split makers around they could do you something similiar to a yidaki

I'd personally start on something F F# G - I've found it easier to hit the passive 10th / 12th on these (although it still needs a little work)

Can't beat the real thing Though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16.04.2008, 18:28 

Where would you recommend to look for a good split hollow yidaki style one? that sounds rather appealing actually. and im looking for my next to be either E or F so . . . *mind wanders*

anyway i gotta go, but id like to hear more about these. also to "hear" them.

KV

I Like You..