WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Marijuana useage?
Yay! 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Neigh! 35%  35%  [ 5 ]
Sometimes... 42%  42%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Ive not seen this come up before, so here goes..
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 20:12 

What is the aboriginals' stance on the use of marijuana? I'm sure it grows there, most people around the world smoke it or use it for its millions of properties. so what about the didgeridoo-ers in northern Australian, as well as the rest of the didge community.

I personally am an advocate of it, but I've heard others saying it contributes to a shortness of breath, but i do not find this to be in my case.

just want to hear what you all think, and what you all know about its use in aboriginal Australians.

THANK YOU!
peace and love
Kind
:P

www.myspace.com/kind_vapour

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 20:29 

????????????????

:shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 20:40 

I find your poll a little offensive, KV. Rampant alcoholism and drug abuse are causing lots of problems in Arnhemland communities- there's a reason that Maningrida is called 'Jamaica' by local residents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 20:52 

Hi there

.What do i think ? well im not worry for breathing but for brain cell .I quit long time ago and at that time the shit was lot softer than today ,i was getting tired of staying perplex in front of nothing .
:tard: As for whos smoking or not downunder the best is to go downthere and see for yourself all the damage drug's and alcool do.

GGW

Last edited by Ghost of GW on 10.04.2008, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ive not seen this come up before, so here goes..
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 21:20 

Kind_Vapour wrote:
just want to hear what you all think, and what you all know about its use in aboriginal Australians.

Well, it certainly is used in Aboriginal Australia but opinions about its pros and cons and whether it poses a serious problem or none at all will widely differ, I guess.
Here's a few articles if you want to go deeper into that:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=35948
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15763742

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 21:36 

I'm not interested in alcohol, i know its a devastating and terrible substance that does cause much harm to mind and body. I'm not talking of other "drugs" either. solely Hemp use. whether it be for recreation, nutrition, clothing, paints, fabrics, fuels, oils, (after all, its the most nutritious seed, with omega 6 and 3) anything. please don't think of me a shallow pot head, for this is not the case.

My question is have you ever in your travels or research come across and medicinal or ritualistic use of this herb, considered sacred around the world.

Quote:
I find your poll a little offensive, KV. Rampant alcoholism and drug abuse are causing lots of problems in Arnhemland communities

i know drug addiction is a problem round the world, that's not what this is about. and well leave alcohol out of the mix entirely, for this conversation.

From what i understand in my little knowledge about these people and culture, They use the yidaki to help tell stories, and aid in meditation to help fall into the "dream time." now please correct me if I'm wrong, and i do not mean any offence, as this is a genuine question of interest.

It seems if they did not incorporate this into their lives at all, it'd be rather rare, considering its (Hemp) history and usage the world over.

Quote:
well I'm not worry for breathing but for brain cell

that's debatable. THC (tetra-hydro-cannobinol) does indeed alter the fatty tissues around the brain cell, altering our perceptions and thought processes, however it does NOT kill them. when usage has stopped, the cells will heal. NOT the case with other drugs and especially alcohol. these kill the brain cells and has long term damage. This is not the case with marijuana, although that's what is being taught. Now I'm not saying its healthy. smoking anything is bad, but mainly for the carbon monoxide, and various other toxic and harmful compounds that occur through combustion, which can be avoided through cooking with it, or through vaporisation, in which no combustion takes place. This is what is recommended to cancer patients and what not, too ill to smoke.
Anyway, i digress, and Ive gotten slightly off topic. so ill stop here.
:D
Kind Vapour

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 21:46 

Quote:
Well, it certainly is used in Aboriginal Australia but opinions about its pros and cons and whether it poses a serious problem or none at all will widely differ, I guess.
Here's a few articles if you want to go deeper into that:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=35948
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15763742

That's definitely in the right direction, and a big thanks for that.

OK, seeing as how these people live in harmony with nature, one must utilise all available resources. and Hemp is the plant of a million uses. it'd seem silly not to use it, under such circumstances. you know?

KV

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 21:51 

Quote:
OK, seeing as how these people live in harmony with nature, one must utilise all available resources.

You are getting dangerously close to romanticizing....just something to think about.

Last edited by flyangler18 on 11.04.2008, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 22:03 

Kind_Vapour wrote:
OK, seeing as how these people live in harmony with nature, one must utilise all available resources. and Hemp is the plant of a million uses. it'd seem silly not to use it, under such circumstances. you know?

The "living in harmony with nature" is a pretty romanticizing picture in my opinion and Aboriginal people have (not much different from other people all over the world) driven several species of large marsupials to extinction already before the white settlement.

I can't quite see the necessity of hemp use for Aboriginal people (other than substance abuse). Hemp is not a native plant to Australia AFAIK and Aboriginal people have (or had) the knowledge about hundreds of native plants and their million uses.

Last edited by seriouschris on 10.04.2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 22:11 

its a metaphor. of being the opposite of corporate slaves, putting gas in their SUV's, talking away on cell phones about the latest football scores. I don't see them that way. They are more in touch with the earth than most "modern" people cannot even fathom. ease up and look at the bigger picture. but most of all, relax. :)

i didn't know it (hemp) was not native to AU, so that would have answered my question right there.
:wink: [/b][/i]

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 22:20 

Kind_Vapour wrote:
putting gas in their SUV's, talking away on cell phones about the latest football scores.

Erm, once you get the chance to go to Australia, please do me a favour and visit Nhulunbuy on a Saturday. There, you can see Galpu clan leader Djalu Gurruwiwi's son Larry playing as the captain of his football team, while Aboriginal families drive in and out in their Toyota Landcruisers all the time, the youth happily chattering away on their cell phones.

That certainly doesn't mean that people from there don't have a very special connection to their land but they certainly have arrived in modern times.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.04.2008, 23:25 

LOL!
perhaps it was a bad choice of words! :lol:

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.04.2008, 09:57 

Quote:
I'm not interested in alcohol, i know its a devastating and terrible substance

A lttle extreme don't you thnk? Yes alcoholsm can be devastatng but come on moderation?

As a Brit visiting the US I was always puzzled by the amercan tight control of Alcohol - At 18 your old enough to vote, buy a hand gun in many states by simply producing ID, and your old enough to go and get your head blown off in Vietnam or now Iraq

But your not old enough to walk into a bar a buy a Beer? :o

I'm not anti-weed, each to their own but I don't believe cannabis use is wthout its health risks

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/arc ... 02730.html

A friend of mine has been a cannabis user all his adult life and to be frank his head is mashed! He never touches alcohol and almost has distane for its use

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.04.2008, 02:37 

Quote:
A friend of mine has been a cannabis user all his adult life and to be frank his head is mashed! He never touches alcohol and almost has distane for its use

Yea, thats pretty much me, except i don't think my head is "mashed." LOL
i suppose to be brutally honest, it depends who you ask. some might not agree with me. :D

i like to think of Reality as a circle. on one half you have sane, on the other half, you have insane, but there is a point in the very center, a point of neutrality, a place i like to call Un-sane. that is where my mind and spirit exist. ;)

Peace and Love
Kind

I Like You..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12.04.2008, 20:02 

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here, whatever works for you is right for you, but it is really bad for other cultures to misinterpret them and bastardize their reality to fit into your own psyche or conceptual universe. Sharing and learning is one thing, but projecting one's psyche onto them is quite another.

Im not projecting anything on to anyone, or any person. I was inquiring about usage in past and present times. I learned earlier, that it was not an indigenous plant, so thats that.

I do not appreciate you implying that my inquiry is hurtful or disrespectful in any way shape or form. Now if i was saying shit like "Yea those aborigonals smoke mad weed!" THAT would be grounds for such harsh words. Not a simple question about their history, and your veiwpoints on it.

Quote:
Reality for aboriginal people has nothing to do with the opinions of people on this forum except those that directly interact with them

And i was asking people that HAVE interacted with them, if they had ever heard of hemp usage in the past. The question was answered. whats the big deal?

I Like You..