THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:37

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Women shouldn`t even touch the Didgeridoo!?
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 11:41 

Hi together!

We had an experience which I would like to share with you: My Partner Doris Neff and myself where last Sunday invited to play at a great exposition. The audience did love our contemporary music and everyone was happy until a Manager from the Nunukulyuggera dancegroup came to my girl and said that she have to stop to play her own didgeridoo, because now the aboriginaldancers from Brisbane are coming.
They are so spiritual that they get sick if they see a woman touch a didgeridoo. She even can`t take it in the bag!
Making music with the didgeridoo is a great passion for my partner, it is our live! She also cares a lot about the qualities of information in Germany. We do exhibitions with lectures and she spend at the moment time with our association to translate the great Yidaki page from Randy…
If you check our live video you`ll see that we make our own style of music and don`t need to use any mystification in the name of australian indigenous. I would go further and say it`s a new inerpretation of the didgeridoo which we separate with great respect from the old tradition. We were traveling tree times through Down Under but we never had an experience like this!
Does anybody have similar experience?
Does woman really have to be careful when they touch the didge in Europe?
We did accept this for this moment but I`m still wondering. Are there any hollow trees at the area of Brisbane?
To make yourself a better picture of everything I send you two links:
What we do on stage:
http://goljo.de/goljo_cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=38

And the page of the dancegroup who said it makes them sick when women even touch the didgeridoo:
http://nunukulyuggera.com.au/

Best wishes from Germany and Switzerland!

Stefan GöG

Last edited by GöG on 20.01.2008, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 13:04 

These people are just unbelieveable.

I'd like to see their faces and would like to hear if they'd have the guts to say something when confronted with the sight of Dhopiya, Manany or other Yolngu women going out bush, cutting trees, carrying logs around, stripping them, give them a quick blow to see if they're OK, finishing and painting them (I've witnessed all of this) etc.

Women not touching them, my a** :!:

On the other side it's really sad how these people have to rely on recreating an Aboriginality by appropriating things like the didjeridu as a token of their reinvented identity, even if there is a lot of agreement among Top End Aboriginal groups that the didjeridu is not a pan-Australian symbol.

Last edited by seriouschris on 17.01.2008, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 14:10 

Hi there

Litlle bit extreme perhaps ...

Chris wrote
Quote:
On the other side it's really sad how this people have to rely on recreating an Aboriginality by appropriating things like the didjeridu as a token of their reinvented identity, even if there is a lot of agreement among Top End Aboriginal groups that the didjeridu is not a pan-Australian symbol.

good point here !

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 16:07 

Hmmm....
I just went to their website and found this in the "Information" section:

Quote:
Nunukul Yuggera offers a Number of Cultural Experiences....
Didgeridoo and Clap Sticks - Aboriginal musicians demonstrate the use of traditional indigenous instruments and encourage visitors to try them
Traditional Aboriginal Art / Artifacts and Displays - Aboriginal artist demonstrate modern adaptations of traditional methods and encourage hands on participation by visitors

Do they only let the men try the didgeridoo? Hands on participation by visitors in Art? I guess they're applying different rules here as it's only tourist, it's "for a good reason" and they're the ones that allow it - hmmm...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 16:40 

There are a number of places like this where they only let men try the sticks! I don't know if this is the case in this instance but it wouldn't surprise me.

Somewhere along the line these Southern Aboriginal tribes have picked up on the women not playing the didj thing and turned it into something far removed from any 'traditional' practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 17:17 
Ive heard of tribes in Queensland doing the same and have turned it into a "dreaming" story

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 23:20 

kdidj wrote:
There are a number of places like this where they only let men try the sticks! I don't know if this is the case in this instance but it wouldn't surprise me.

Somewhere along the line these Southern Aboriginal tribes have picked up on the women not playing the didj thing and turned it into something far removed from any 'traditional' practice.

Remember that thread on the XR site? Stroppy folk perpetuating stroppy-rubbish as gospel truth, and being stroppy about Randy's Dhawu site!

Silly stroppy sillies! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17.01.2008, 23:23 

stockie wrote:
Ive heard of tribes in Queensland doing the same and have turned it into a "dreaming" story

Francis Firebrace did that a little bit, but to be honest its all good by me - he is such a good guy, who just wants to hug people and make them feel better, that I can'd begrudge him is poetic license.

But then, its not my way of life, so much as I want to hug him, my opinion is not as valid as a Yolngu!

Hey ho.

PS My mouth might be getting back to normal quite soon - cross fingers that I have not lost the use of my jaw completely! No didge = Sad-Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18.01.2008, 16:05 

DanielSaan wrote:
My mouth might be getting back to normal quite soon - cross fingers that I have not lost the use of my jaw completely! No didge = Sad-Dan

Hi Dan

I'm really happy to hear that you're recovering well. It might still become your yidaki year then after all!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.01.2008, 15:23 

seriouschris wrote:
DanielSaan wrote:
My mouth might be getting back to normal quite soon - cross fingers that I have not lost the use of my jaw completely! No didge = Sad-Dan

Hi Dan

I'm really happy to hear that you're recovering well. It might still become your yidaki year then after all!

Thanks Chris, thats very kind of you. I hope I don't have to phase yidaki out completely! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19.01.2008, 22:09 

They play at big festivals and and perform traditional stuff.

How spiritual and traditional are they if they get money for it and not keeping the secrets for themselves.

It's only a spoiled artists behaviour.Making themselves interesting and creating a cloud of mystery and greatness around them.
Diva-rigenees