It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Rudd's acceptance speech
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 13:20 

http://www.abc.net.au/streaming/election.asx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 15:02 

Yeeehaaaa!

I hope this is the long awaited change for the better in terms of how the government deals with Aboriginal people! Will be interesting to see what happens with the whole NT "intervention" now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24.11.2007, 15:08 

seriouschris wrote:
Yeeehaaaa!

I hope this is the long awaited change for the better in terms of how the government deals with Aboriginal people! Will be interesting to see what happens with the whole NT "intervention" now.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. I live with an Australian and will be interested to hear what he says. Well, I know sort of - he thinks JH is a complete berk, but perhaps KR is too? Who knows. At least Mal Brough has been evicted from his post as indiginous culture minister!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26.11.2007, 11:44 

At least the start does look promising (from theage.com.au):

Prime Minister-elect Kevin Rudd says his government will make a formal apology to indigenous Australians early in its first term.

"It will be early in the parliamentary term," Mr Rudd told reporters in Brisbane.

"We will frame it in a consultative fashion with communities and that may take some time."

Mr Rudd's comments come after incoming deputy prime minister Julia Gillard this morning suggested Labor would soon say "sorry" to the indigenous people of Australia.

"It's certainly Labor policy, obviously we haven't made an announcement about timing and that's a matter for Kevin to deal with," she told ABC radio today.

"It's certainly long-standing Labor policy and I absolutely support it.

"And I also absolutely support us taking the practical measures that would make a difference to the huge life expectancy gap and the lack of opportunity that so many indigenous Australians face in their lives."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27.11.2007, 19:46 

Hi Daniel,

I couldn't get this to play but all the same, it sounds hopeful. I'm glad to see, like many others, that JH and Mal B have been ousted. :D It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.

Pam