THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: "Bush ambushed by Outback Australian"
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 12:59 

Guess what I've been up to the past two days... :twisted: Some of you may remember Djambawa Marawili from the Yidakiwuy Dhawu Miwatjngurunydja website. He, Wanyubi Marika and I were just down in Sydney for a meeting with one Mr. President George W. Bush amidst the newly reopened exhibition of the Saltwater Collection at the National Maritime Museum.

This first article gets the story very wrong, but I like it...

http://www.newkerala.com/july.php?actio ... s&id=57805

These two similar articles, which mention the event later towards the end, get it more right.

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx ... ame=416078
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 53,00.html

And this is the most to the point...
http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2007/09 ... ns_to_Bush

Here's one photo of Bush and our guys, and Sydney-based dancer Clarence Stockee who was also involved up front for a minute. This is just the best we got from the web so far, hopefully there's better to come fromt he newsstands tomorrow.

Attachments:
File comment: hopefully better pics to come...
bush1.jpg
bush1.jpg [ 37.45 KiB | Viewed 2723 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 13:11 

Good to hear that Djambawa has been able to voice the concerns in front of the media, shame on old chimpy that he had nothing to say about it, but that's nothing new, right?

It's a shame how little the whole NT intervention has been picked up by media outside of Australia.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 13:18 

Hi there

Hi there

Did Mr Bush understand what Djambawa Marawili was talking about ? That was a good question but i doubt he even know he was in australia .....

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 13:31 

The great thing is that it doesn't matter whether Bush understood or cared about it. What matters was that we had an opportunity to make a statement to him in front of international media. What also matters is that we were paid to go down there and do this just to be a photo opportunity for him, making us all feel... dirty. But instead of just being the nice painted black faces dancing and posing for photos, our guys made it count!

And yeah, Christian, this in my eyes is a major human rights violation in progress that should get more attention. I see some places in the USA and that one link from India above have already run this story from the AP, which I'd imagine is the first mention of the intervention in those publications.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 13:36 

Quote:
It's a shame how little the whole NT intervention has been picked up by media outside of Australia.

Very true, although it really depends on the politics of the publication and how the article runs. I'm actually surprised Amnesty International and other human rights organizations haven't gotten a bit more vocal about it, although Dafur makes for more sensational campaigns in the eyes of organizers :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Bush ambushed by Outback Australian"
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 13:54 

Milawuy wrote:
This first article gets the story very wrong,

http://www.newkerala.com/july.php?actio ... s&id=57805

Yeah, quite a funny twist to the thing...

Quote:
but I like it...

It's the Bollywood babes picture gallery, right ? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 14:20 

Hi there

Quote:
although Dafur makes for more sensational campaigns in the eyes of organizers

Not sure if i understand corretly what you mean .
Anyway im wondering how a president or like here a prime minister show up and make some "comment"when in their own backyard they have the same kind of issus with the native .

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 17:38 

Quote:
Not sure if i understand corretly what you mean .

Hi Richard,

Genocide in Darfur and similar issues just seems to get people's attention far quicker than land rights issues- sad but true!

Jason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 18:47 

hi there

Thanks Jason i understand what you mean .None of those thing should happen today .But when people dying by thousands and thousands i guess this become a priority even if i dint like using this word. mankind have evolute a lot the last 50 years but didn't progress at all ....

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 23:20 

Ghost of GW wrote:
Anyway im wondering how a president or like here a prime minister show up and make some "comment"when in their own backyard they have the same kind of issus with the native .

This reminds me of another funny thing down there. The main reason Bush was there at the National Maritime Museum is there is a US-Oz joint space that is the first big exhibition you see, tribute to friendship between the nations. $5 million from the US government was put into it and Bush Sr. opened it in 1992.

The information about the exhibit that was given to the press by the museum quoted Bush Sr. at the opening saying something like, "the people of Australia and the United States are brought together by common ancestors, language, religion, etc." I laughed and said, and as shown by that comment, a common disregard for their indigenous people!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06.09.2007, 23:48 
That's the problem you see its those native fuzzy wussies they don't like it up-em (and for those people who don't understand the cultural comedy ironic reference check out re runs of "Dads Army Clive Dunn") :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and bush defo lives up to his last name as he is a complete and utter T.W.A coffee (or is it tea) don't get me started on old thicko except I was in Cancun last year for a week and bush was there with the Canadian PM and Mexican President for a cross border summit.

we went on an excursion and when we got off the bus for a fag we were joined by an american lady who I then started to slag of bush and say that blair was just as bad about the war etc smokers banter.

and the american lady said "fair point but at least yours can string a sentence together" which did actually tickle me.

hes still a twat at least he cant get in for third term at least the yanks have done something right for once (apologies for the sweeping gen Jason, Randy and any other americans out there (and even Kyle tee hee) but he really doesn't do your home land and your fellow country men any favours (neither do a lot of your fellow country men that I have met tee hee).

rant over