THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Govt. slapping at Garma
PostPosted: 09.08.2007, 10:46 

Looks like the just finished Garma festival was put to good use for some extensive and well needed Government slapping for the current interventions in the NT.
A considerable number of articles have appeared in the Australian media over the last few days, have a look here if you (and you better should) be interested in the topic: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Garma&ie=UTF-8&scoring=n

This shows that the Garma festival is indeed much more than just the yidaki masterclass and far from being a mere "tourist trap" as some voices dismissively call it and still has a vital role as a venue where Aboriginal voices are heard and create attention.

Maybe Randy or Phil can tell us a bit more about the event and the general mood of this year's festival. I bet it was quite different from past festivals with the current measures that are or are to be imposed on Aboriginal communities by the Government.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Govt. slapping at Garma
PostPosted: 09.08.2007, 12:11 

seriouschris wrote:
Looks like the just finished Garma festival was put to good use for some extensive and well needed Government slapping for the current interventions in the NT.
A considerable number of articles have appeared in the Australian media over the last few days, have a look here if you (and you better should) be interested in the topic: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Garma&ie=UTF-8&scoring=n

This shows that the Garma festival is indeed much more than just the yidaki masterclass and far from being a mere "tourist trap" as some voices dismissively call it and still has a vital role as a venue where Aboriginal voices are heard and create attention.

Maybe Randy or Phil can tell us a bit more about the event and the general mood of this year's festival. I bet it was quite different from past festivals with the current measures that are or are to be imposed on Aboriginal communities by the Government.

Thanks Chris,

It is always good to have hnews from the source.

Cool picture by the way! Where were you for that?

Dan

Post subject: Re: Govt. slapping at Garma
PostPosted: 09.08.2007, 12:29 

DanielSaan wrote:
Cool picture by the way! Where were you for that?

On the other side of the street from the Nhulunbuy Speedway and near the rubbish dump. So seriously out bush :wink:
Dopiya cut a fabulous stick at the occasion that was finished by Djalu, one of the nicest playing Galpu instruments I've ever seen.
Unfortunately, somebody was quick enough to spot it at my place before I could hide it and incorporate it into my personal collection. Still much to my regret.

Last edited by seriouschris on 09.08.2007, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09.08.2007, 12:31 

Hi Chris-

I was actually thinking about the response at GARMA concerning the recent decision by the Howard government to dump the permit system and its resultant fallout. I'd be very much interested to hear from Randy and Phil about this.

Cheers,
Jason

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.08.2007, 00:06 

Hi Jason

I spoke with Guan about this the other day and his opinion is this "

With the permit system, what you've heard is true but it is unlikely to go ahead as there is intense lobbying by pressure groups over here to prevent that from happening. We'll see though... John Howard has a way of getting his way...

Thanks

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Don't mess with the Yirrkala mob
PostPosted: 14.08.2007, 14:31 

Don't mess with the Yirrkala mob! Just found this on the news:

Aboriginal community kicks out Govt survey team

The Yirrkala Community Council in north-east Arnhem Land has confirmed a Federal Government survey team was kicked out of the community during a meeting yesterday.

Small survey teams made up of public servants, police and military officers have been visiting Northern Territory communities as part of the Commonwealth's intervention in Indigenous affairs.

A spokesman for the Council said Yirrkala community members were frustrated the survey team were unable to provide any new information about the intervention.

He said the community told the team to leave Yirrkala and return with the Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Mal Brough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14.08.2007, 14:36 

Nice move by the Yirrkala bunch! I suspect this isn't going to be the only time community members give the government the shove-off, either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 02:13 

Thank you for the link/s Christian.......

but those articles still don't paint a pretty picture at all..........and it seems like its going to take a lot more than a slap to help keep hold of the little they are already clinging to..................

: (

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 09:06 

Mal Brough's statement today was essentially that the people of Yirrkala are "tranquilized" by too much kava, and that is the reason for the lack of cooperation.

Fortunately our new multimedia centre had a camera there, catching the shouting community members, many of them well-dressed professionals including a man who was a translator for the Gove Land Rights case in the early 1970's. ABC-TV News requested our footage. So hopefully they'll broadcast the footage of these "tranquilized" protestors to the nation.

Not only will that be a win for Yirrkala and free speech, but it'll be footage of Yolngu in Yirrkala taken by a Yolngu camera person following three weeks of film training with the specific goal of allowing Yolngu to tell their own stories. Not only has one of our first short films been invited to a film festival after its debut at Garma, but now we might have our footage on ABC news! This is much larger steps than we dreamed!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 09:12 

This is great news, Randy! Any chance that we'll be able to see some of the footage, be it on Youtube or another streaming media hoster? Would be nice, as most of us can't get ABC news.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 09:30 

Indeed, this is good to hear Randy. I look forward to hearing more in due course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 12:30 

Great news, Randy! It'd be great to see some of this footage.

Last edited by flyangler18 on 15.08.2007, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 12:39 

Hi, how do you say :wink: , Goodonya mates; keep going on showing your reality. We have quite a similar band of manipulators here with Sarkosy's friends. they are tough opponents but..... one can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 14:37 

Milawuy wrote:
ABC-TV News requested our footage. So hopefully they'll broadcast the footage of these "tranquilized" protestors to the nation.

EXCELLENT! I hope they realize the importance and do actually use it.

Peace,

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15.08.2007, 20:41 

Hey forum folks,

Just back from Arnhem Land, and still pretty tired and a little bit sick, but thought I'd chime in on this. Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else, but just in case...
Anyone wondering what the fuss is all about with Mal Brough and martial law being imposed on Aboriginal communities in the NT should check this link out, and read Mr. Brough's press release about the "National emergency response to protect Aboriginal children in the NT":
http://www.facsia.gov.au/internet/Minister3.nsf/print/emergency_21june07.htm
This just passed through parliament, or whatever they call it in Canberra, a week or so ago, and no Yolngu person I spoke with in Yirrkala, the Gove area, or at Garma was happy about it.
For more info for those interested, check out an opinion piece called "Bureaucrats must be held to account" by Tony Cutcliffe from July 11, on http://www.theage.com.au

Best,
Phil

Profile E-mail