THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:03 

In my opinion, you are not in a position to criticise the ethical practices of others. By re-selling authentic instruments we support the community. Your actions do not.

Perhaps if you address the questions posed to you we'll consider answering yours in more detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:03 

Jeremy Lembo wrote:
I have a question for the people that sell traditional didges that are not Native Australians. Do you make $$ off the sale?

Jeremy, you're probably making more from 2 or 3 paid performances (if you do any) than we make from selling the instruments. If you feel like it, you may wade through this http://forum.serioussticks.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

By selling traditional instruments, we at least promote the real deal...and we reach more people if they can see and try them instead of having to buy them directly in Arnhemland over the net.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:06 

shoot, Im starting to get in trouble here at work.

real quick...

Ok, the short of the short version of the painting story.

There is a lack of Native Australian people here in the states and especially none that I am aware of in Florida (we do look). We were invited to play for a play at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. 5 shows for thousands of people. This play involved all major cultures of the world, well atleast the general continent. This was a play and there are costumes from all over the world played by all sorts of people. So, for Australia they asked us to play cause there was no one else available. 1st show, we where wearing shorts and some Australia Art printed shirts. Yea, that really represents the people of that land. After that 1st show and looking at all the elaborate costumes, I decided to use some of the red ochre I have from Arizona (left overs from some ceramonial stuff out west) and use that to imitate pictures. The African master from that show, helped me out a bunch with that whole thing, including how to tie the loin cloth. The remaining performances struck people so hard that it interested the local tv stations. They asked us to come on and we did. If you know what a TV Release says, it is fun. No creative input from us. 2 hours of filming condensed into a 5 minute segment. Yea, don't we look like a bunch of dumb asses on that. all the good parts and none of the explanation on there. showing us painting ourselves but not the explanation of everything behind it. Us mimicking the emu dance stuff, which we learned at JT Didge Fest and once again no explanation.

As for the shows painting and stuff. I have no clue what your talking about. Only a couple 2, maybe 3 times we have painted up in mud in the past for fundraising events. I dont dance, I don't teach aboriginal lore or any of that stuff. My shows that I do, involve me in outfits that I or my wife make. if you see the links for creative loafing, tbo.com and the stuff on you tube. That is the stuff I wear for my shows. The only native australians I know don't tell me about that stuff and honestly, I don't ask them.

So, just so everyone knows.. I don't do any traditional dancing! Never have and never will. we are part of the Paralounge.net people and we have tried to get Native Australians to come over and do a workshop on that. 30K is what it costs to get a troupe over here. That is a little out of the budget. I would love to learn that stuff though. Anyone have any links to Australians that do that in the States? I could really use that information.

More later
Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:12 

seriouschris wrote:
Jeremy Lembo wrote:
I have a question for the people that sell traditional didges that are not Native Australians. Do you make $$ off the sale?

Jeremy, you're probably making more from 2 or 3 paid performances (if you do any) than we make from selling the instruments. If you feel like it, you may wade through this http://forum.serioussticks.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

By selling traditional instruments, we at least promote the real deal...and we reach more people if they can see and try them instead of having to buy them directly in Arnhemland over the net.

Thanks for the link, as I stated before I generally don't have a lot of time. Boss is in meeting now and I really appreciate the information. That is always been a big debate. You guys maybe lagit but we run across a lot of people that arent and just like you lot, we try to help in our own way.

As for the Music. Didgeridoo is just one instrument I play. Does the African Drums, Flutes, Saxophones, Tabla, keyboards, bass and anything else I play count. I do a lot of things for $$ and I spend a lot of time for it with great reward and Sacrifice.

As for the didges though, I don't resell trad. didges only because I feel it gives more to the Native Australians. I see the other points though as well

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:44 

At the end of the day Jeremy, you and your friends painted yourself up and impersonated Aboriginals. You may have had the best intentions and not been aware of the significance of your actions however you did cause offense and you were informed of this by a number of individuals and communities.

You continued to display the offensive material long after having been made aware of the offensive content and eventually (after receiving many emails requesting that you do so) you relented and removed the material.

You stated that you were sorry to have offended yet now you continue to justify your inappropriate actions and claim you're proud of them. Discussing your intentions is not going to solve anything. It appears as if you admitted you were wrong only to get others off your back.

All we ask is for some respect where it is due. If you are truly sorry, simply apologise to those you offended and promise you won't do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 15:58 

kdidj wrote:
At the end of the day Jeremy, you and your friends painted yourself up and impersonated Aboriginals. You may have had the best intentions and not been aware of the significance of your actions however you did cause offense and you were informed of this by a number of individuals and communities.

You continued to display the offensive material long after having been made aware of the offensive content and eventually (after receiving many emails requesting that you do so) you relented and removed the material.

You stated that you were sorry to have offended yet now you continue to justify your inappropriate actions and claim you're proud of them. Discussing your intentions is not going to solve anything. It appears as if you admitted you were wrong only to get others off your back.

All we ask is for some respect where it is due. If you are truly sorry, simply apologise to those you offended and promise you won't do it again.

You see, that is exactly what I am talking about. With limited internet access, it is difficult to do web work. While people were letting us know of their thoughts (Good and bad; you would be amazed at how many good we did receive from Native Australians) we addressed the issues. We put out a letter and corrected what needed to be corrected and yet again, here I am on the forum being blasted. Most of the information was contrived and not actual fact. yes there were pictues and yes there was a video but no backup. I am very proud of it still and we did not do it in jest or with intention disrespect. We took that part of the play to be very serious.

Our previous appology apparently was not good enough! So, I would like to know why. In this process of learning for myself and others, that is why I asked for questions to directly answer. I am not seeking forgiveness from anyone. I appologies in the past and that either is or is not good enough for others. Just remember, judgement is a 2 way street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 16:10 

Jeremy,

Read through this thread again and you'll see that you are continuing to justify your actions, actions you've already admitted were offensive.

If you want others to take you seriously you too should take this seriously. You can't apologise for impersonating Aboriginals whilst justifying it at the same time and that's exactly what you're doing. Believe me, this is not putting you or your friends in a good light.

You brought this all up again by stating you were proud of creating the offensive material so any criticism you receive is a result of your own actions and ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 16:24 

Well, we are all ignorant to some extent or another.

as for the things I am saying, yea it sounds like I am justifying something and that is partially true. Until you stand in my shoes you may not understand my point of view. It is just amazing on my side to sit here working hard for something being accused of stuff again when none of you except for the people who know me even know what I do. Like the original thread of the creative loafing piece. yea, im in the news. I do a lot of work. I do a lot of education and I only wish the people who have the power to educate the educaters such as Randy have the time and ability to get that information out.

Maybe I am taking this too seriously, I appologise for that. I can tell you that once you receive thousands of emails and calls from around the world accusing you of things you would do exactly what I am doing now. It personally does not matter to me if you like me or not. I can't please everyone and I think I am just as justified in doing what I am doing as you are.

and with that, I offer this. At Paralounge.net (festival in florida) we are the only didgeridoo influence there. We are the only performers and vendors that that is because no one else really wants to give it a go. Ben Hicks did but not sure what he is up to now looking at his site. There is a slow growing didge community there. Anyone want to come to vend, teach or otherwise. I have a booth that i would share. Maybe if you come to this event you can see what I do and how I make a difference. That way I don't have to see people all over the place being like Here We Go Again.

J :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.09.2007, 02:45 

hickssticks wrote:
Ben Hicks?

You don't even know me.

Well Said Ben

Funny that, they obviously don't know anything about the aboriginals and their culture either yet this doesn't stop them!!! AND stop all that poverty crap!!! can't do this or can't do that because of limited internet access etc!!! get the violins out!!! for someone with limited internet access you seem to be doing ok here!!

Simple, you don't need hours of internet access to hold up your hands and say sorry, about 2 minutes should do it!! To not do it again, no time at all. Act like a man and stop trying to justify your actions , dig a big enough hole you may just fall into it!!

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.09.2007, 03:43 

Hi there

Ben wrote

Quote:
Ben Hicks?

Don't bring me into your bullshit. You don't even know me.

Your actions are reprehensible.

Fuck off Jeremy

The more you go Jeremy the more people you will have to apologize and i hope you will be inspired . So i think you should stop the crap right now and face the reality you and your partner... this story look like a soap science friction opera. For me you and Dank have lost all integrity on the didge scene not because you have made a mistake by ignorance that can hapen to anybody and perhaps you did all this with good intention , but for all the bullshitt ,manipulation ,violin crap ect ect you and Dank put on after ,i tell you again dude be very inspired in your apologize .

GGW