THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Blowing wood
PostPosted: 29.06.2007, 20:36 

Thought you all might enjoy this-

http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gyroba ... d%3A238134

There is a comment section at the bottom of the article. I just don't know what to write! Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29.06.2007, 20:51 

Arggh- they're back!

But we fundamentalists made the news:

Quote:
Last year, Lembo and two of his fellow didg players, Darren Liebman and Lindsey Dank, ignited a firestorm after they dressed in loincloths, mud and body paint for a play and Red Cross fundraiser. After discovering a photo on the group's website -- dragonflyrhythms.com -- several members of the didg and aboriginal communities blasted the group for profiting off of "black face."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01.07.2007, 09:09 

Ooh, thanks Jeff. You're the star detective of the culture police!

I posted a response with a link to the letter sent to them from Yirrkala, and the fact that the only response was brief and rude, not the apology he claims. The comment hasn't showed up yet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: good going randy
PostPosted: 01.07.2007, 14:37 

Glad to see the link- I added my own two cents for what its worth. Puff piece concerning the controversy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I think you may find this interesting as well
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 12:41 

http://www.studio10.tv/category/music/s ... Revolution

or this
http://www.tbo.com/southtampa/MGB7VP1JB5F.html

or this
http://tbo.com/video/xml/MGBZOR32T4F.html (tbo.com keyword "Lembo")

Hello all;

Just wanted you all to know that Lindsey and I have been reading your posts. Just so you know, I am the one in this video and in the Creative Loafing article. You would be amazed how often we are confused. Lindsey actually does not know I am replying and he may disagree to some extent and I do this not out of better judgement.

I plan on having some dialogue with people who are concerned. Unfortunately, I am poor and seeing my family back in NY is not possible let along being privledged enough to travel to Australia. Not to mention, even if I did have the $$ to get there, I only get 1 week of vacation and seriously, what could I do over there in 1 week; I would not know where to begin.

Anyway, please be patient, I have limited access to the internet. I have none where I live and at the day job, which pays for the health insurance (had cancer) they severely watch our internet dealings.

Until the next post.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 13:08 

Hi Jeremy and welcome!

Good to see you around here and we're looking forward to hear your thoughts on things. We're always ready for a good, stimulating discussion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 13:26 

Quote:
We're always ready for a good, stimulating discussion.

Indeed- and we only snarl occasionally ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: General Stuff
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:06 

Real quick, my boss is in the bathroom!

Ok, since I am not sure how much time or how long in general I can spend on this site I have a few questions, Including for Randin Graves.

If you or others come up with questions for me, I don't speak for anyone else but myself, that would make certain things more efficient. Also, if you want to make a new forum title for this, just let me know. Either way.

Just so you know, I am a very honest person and things that I say are true to me. I will not deny anything that someone thinks I have done regardless of what it is and... I can explain a lot about what some of the previous concerns are. From the things we have done in our past that offended many, a lot of good things came out of it. You would be amazed how many native Australians praised us. I was also surprised at all the death threats. (woohoo, got caught by the boss so I must tie this up)

Anyway, I would have never thought that myself and some friends would cause this much trouble in the world. Just so you know, we are also sponsored by King Arthurs tools and we have a didgeridoo and drum makeing toolkit coming out directly from KATOOLS.com. Arthur, from King Arthurs tools, he is from Perth. I figure I would be the one to put that out there instead of some "Covert" detective work. you would be amazed what you can get if you just ask nicely.

BTW, I still have all the offending pictures. Would it do any good to show them off. We admitted that it was offensive since there was obvious offense. We removed them. Regardless of the pictures, we did what we did and I am still proud of it. I will explain later. Oh yea, an African Drum Master showed me how to tie my loin cloth.

have to go and please come up with some questions for me.

Jerem Lembo
www.dragonflyrhythms.com

Post subject: Re: General Stuff
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:29 

Jeremy Lembo wrote:
Would it do any good to show them off.

Erm, sorry Jeremy, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Was this a question?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General Stuff
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:34 

Jeremy Lembo wrote:
BTW, I still have all the offending pictures. Would it do any good to show them off. We admitted that it was offensive since there was obvious offense. We removed them. Regardless of the pictures, we did what we did and I am still proud of it. I will explain later. Oh yea, an African Drum Master showed me how to tie my loin cloth.

Jeremy,

If you realized the photos of your inappropriate actions were offensive why would you ask to post them again? That you feel the need to justify your behaviour coupled with the fact you state you are still proud of it attests to you not having learned anything at all.

Frankly, stating that an African Drum Master showed you how to tie your loincloth is not relevant as you were impersonating Australian Aboriginals not Africans.

The Yolngu let you know why they found your actions offensive. Please pay them the respect they deserve by acknowledging these facts and learning from your mistakes instead of making excuses for your actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:37 

boss is behind closed doors :twisted:

The offending pictures. If I made a gallery with those pictures that people took offense to, would it help anything or anyone. I will explain the history of the offending pictures though when I have some time to write it without looking over my shoulder. LOL It all started from good intnetions though.

Just so everyone knows, the Native Australian's are not the only ones in the world to cover themselves in mud. There are a lot of people out there that don't know that a lot of African natives, American natives (south, central and north) use mud and clays for all sorts of things. I would have used show polish if I wanted to do "blackface". That was a huge assumption on everyone's part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:45 

Thanks for the reply. I know there is a lot of random information in here. You need to understand that we received thousands of emails form all over the world and it is impossible to address every single one of them. Apparently the letter we drafted was not good enough and people still have problems with what I do, if anyone even really knows what I do. That is why I would like some questions to directly answer! some random facts in here mean something to some people and I appologise for the seemingly rambling method. Yea I offended some people and people are still talking about finding the pictures. Would the pictures do any good. I am sorry it offended people. I doubt I would do it again too. But, if people are still talking about it, I figure they are not done with it. I could not care if that is what you want and go back to my daily life. Engineering during the day and playing music at night and on the weekends. Maybe I am looking into the posts about me on the forum a little too deep. I only hope no one else gets judged too deeply.

If there is going to be another "campaign" against me, I will go to it, instead of it coming to me. Not being aggressive, I only want to answer the peoples questions before assumptions and mis-facts take root. I would prefer not to receive calls form Australian TV shows.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:47 

Jeremy Lembo wrote:
Just so everyone knows, the Native Australian's are not the only ones in the world to cover themselves in mud. There are a lot of people out there that don't know that a lot of African natives, American natives (south, central and north) use mud and clays for all sorts of things. I would have used show polish if I wanted to do "blackface". That was a huge assumption on everyone's part.

Are you actually trying to tell us you weren't pretending to be Aboriginals?

There were no assumptions made Jeremy. You and your friends were painted in mud, playing didjeridus and standing on one leg with the other on your knee - a classic Central Australian pose.

We're not stupid Jeremy so please don't try to persuade us with these childish explanations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:51 

Quote:

This seems beside the point, Jeremy- because it is obvious from the nature of your 'show' that you were impersonating Australian Aboriginals and de facto stealing from their culture by doing so. What were you trying to achieve by painting yourself up?

You have the opportunity through the invitation by Yolngu elders to learn from your mistakes and understand their offense and hurt at your actions and I suggest you try to address your thoughts there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28.08.2007, 14:52 

Just a thought;

I have a question for the people that sell traditional didges that are not Native Australians. Do you make $$ off the sale? I dont sell traditional didges and hardly sell my own. Almost all of my returning students own and play traditional didges. I refer them to places in North Arn. and they buy them directly. I don't get anyting from the sale. I could be a reseller for a few places but it is not my intention to make $$ from the Traditional makers work. I am sure you guys do this to but I always promote Traditional Didges before my own.

Jeremy