THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: About "culturally sensitive" things
PostPosted: 10.06.2007, 21:56 

So I'm pretty recent to the Didgeridoo, and even newer to learning about Australian aboriginal culture. I'm 19 years old and have traveled once to Austrailia (while young), Japan, Austria, and Spain. Even though, I'm not the most worldly person yet and am still learning alot about cultures and interaction.

I'm curious, why have certain pictures been removed (it seems) or are there warning links to click to progress saying these things are just far too culturally sensitive? I can't think of any possible way something would be so sacred that someone shouldn't even be allowed to lay their eyes on a picture or representation of it. A simple drawing on a Didge even? This might sound really stupid, but I'm at a loss of understanding. Anyone able to share their insight?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10.06.2007, 22:15 

Quote:
why have certain pictures been removed (it seems) or are there warning links to click to progress saying these things are just far too culturally sensitive?

Which pictures, where? You'll have to tell us which ones you mean or it's a bit difficult to comment

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.06.2007, 00:14 

Hey john
I think this is it http://forum.serioussticks.com/viewtopic.php?t=412

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.06.2007, 00:20 

Aye, what John Bylund linked. Also I've browsed other didge links of stores and such, and I've found ones that have a picture saying CLICK HERE TO VIEW WHAT SOME MAY FIND OFFENSIVE (or something of the like). And after clicking to further see, it's just a bullroarer with an aboriginal design etc. I'll try to find some of the pages that have these on it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.06.2007, 00:27 

Quote:
it's just a bullroarer with an aboriginal design etc

Ahh, the conflict of two different worlds! EarthSeek, the designs that appear on some pieces of material culture can be incredibly powerful and sacred (as in the case of some Ganalbingu designs as painted by Daphne Banyawarra), having intimate spiritual meaning to the groups that own that design and story. What may just look like an ordinary object or a pretty design oftenhas far deeper significance-like didjeridu in a ceremonial context for example- to the Aboriginal people that crafted it and publicly displaying a sacred design can be seen as offensive or disrespectful to those groups.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.06.2007, 04:50 

Ahaaa! I guess I never even thought of it in that way. I suppose I see now why things like that might be construed in a way much less lightly than I view them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11.06.2007, 14:19 

Yeah, 'tis a complicated thing. There are heaps of books on the subject, but I often reference Richard Trudgen's 'Djambatj Mala: Why Warriors Lie Down and Die' as a valuable reference for beginning to understand Yolngu cosmology and customary law.

Profile E-mail