THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 15.11.2018, 16:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.07.2007, 14:59 

HI Randy

thanks fo the insight!

Quote:
Christian, I'm afraid that I do not make $50K as assistant coordinator.

Sorry, didn't want to suggest that you're in fact filthy rich and just hiding it from us :wink: I had the average ANKAAA job description thingies in mind that are usually around 40k to 50k per year
Quote:
At the Dreaming festival I had a lovely time catching up and trading war stories with Will from Buku past and Anthony from Injalak.

Say hi to them. Anthony is quite a character. I hope to catch up with him sometime.

Quote:
And while I understand your idea of splitting up my salary over the number of yidaki sold, that of course is far from accurate, as you know.

Sure, it's grossly oversimplified. I know that it's an overly generous estimate of your costs but then, nobody can accuse me of trying to downplaying your overhead :wink:

Quote:
although I'm finally getting a non-condemned one in a few weeks. :D

Hoorray! How did that happen?

Quote:
So if you want authentic yidaki and you want to support the people at the origin as best you can, buy from the people who buy from Buku. Go team

If you don't want authentic yidaki, then piss off!

Amen :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.07.2007, 15:16 

Hi there

That says it all !! Bravo Randin .In 23 years in the art world i know only one place who pay artist upfront and this is the agency im in .As an artist this make hell of a difference between not working and living from my art .And more the agency wich i always say it is the best is promoting my art everywhere in the world ,i can talk for houres about the difference that make . When Randin was saying it was 60/40 i was impressed but now im on my a** they are payed upfront !! i can only salute that .Go on find a place who does that ! Wow :D

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.07.2007, 15:27 

Ghost of GW wrote:
When Randin was saying it was 60/40 i was impressed but now im on my a** they are payed upfront !! i can only salute that .Go on find a place who does that ! Wow :D

I'm happy to announce that at least 3 of the 4 places I bought from on the latest sourcing trip do pay the artists upfront - and I think the 4th one does as well, but I'm not quite sure. One of the art coordinators even expressed his regret of not having been able to buy more instruments from the makers lately as the turnover in the art center has not been high enough.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.07.2007, 15:32 

Hi there

Welll thas even better !! lot should take example of it . :)

GGW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02.07.2007, 23:14 

seriouschris wrote:
I had the average ANKAAA job description thingies in mind that are usually around 40k to 50k per year

Okay, 40 to 50 is right. :)

I was thinking as I woke up this morning about how, while it's not the majority, considering the hundreds of Yolngu we buy from, there are in fact a handful of the artists who make more than the coordinators. This person was certainly an exception, but well over $100,000 of that $1.15 million paid to artists in 2005-6 actually went to one very successful artist. Not bad, eh?! Of course, that has its own problems, with other jealous artists blaming us of playing favorites. It's hard to explain that we pay each artist as much as we possibly can, and that this applies to both those who have gotten famous and those who haven't. We're not going to hold somebody back when the art market wants to reward them.

seriouschris wrote:
Quote:
although I'm finally getting a non-condemned one in a few weeks. :D

Hoorray! How did that happen?

Long story short - the condemned house is allegedly finally going to be knocked down soon. There is one Dhanbul employee house opening up that was going to go to new staff moving to the community, but now that my situation is serious and I am making a long term commitment to the Mulka Project, I finally got the goods. It's on the slope right above the art centre and footie oval. I haven't been inside yet as the old guy's not out for another 2 weeks, but all reports are - nice wood floors and stunning ocean views. ;-) I'll post pictures when I can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07.07.2007, 02:48 

Milawuy wrote:
A great deal of this is none of your collective damn business!

I agree..........and am still surprised that you guys indulged..........but thanks for sharing your info just the same fellas...........

Hoping this eases some of your pain Stanley.

Peace,

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2007, 18:16 

been away from the forum for awhile and i've just spent a long time reading this thread, it was all a bit much to take in but one thought occurs to me and if this has been asked an answered before i'm sorry.
stan, you're not happy with the resllers, the arts centres buy from the makers and sell them on so by defintion they're resellers, you want a breakdown of how where the money from the resale of sticks goes, how it benefits the community, does that mean you won't go into your local corner shop unless he tells you how much profit he makes on a can of baked beans?
unless i've got this wrong you advocate buying direct from the makers, admirable but, how would you do it? you've never been to oz so we can rule that out as an option, you could use the internet, but without the art centres most of these makers would have no way of getting their sticks on the internet. you'd be stickless.
if it wasn't for the resellers and i include the arts centres in this most of these guys would still be making sticks for their community and the occasional tourist, djalu would be some old guy no ones ever heard of not the "megastar" he is today. the resellers have given the yolngu an outlet for their art without which it would be what it had been for thousands of years, local, not the global phenomenom it is today. alright the resllers have stepped in to feed this market but if they hadn't there wouldn't be a market and instead of the 60% of the resale value they now get the makers would be getting 60% of nothing, i know which i'd rather have.
one last thought, and then i'm done. can i ask what gives a white english bloke living in east london the right to assume that the yolngu are unhappy with this arrangement, aboriginal culture is the other side of the spectrum compared to your and my life. what you regard as important might not be the same as what your next door neighbour regards as important never mind some bloke you've never met living on the other side of the planet, when you know what it's like to live my life then you can speak for me.
i assume then you 'll be sending back all the sticks you got from resellers in the past then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20.07.2007, 19:02 

Well said and dead on Boo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2007, 07:41 

Just thought I'd follow up on my promise to share Buku's numbers for the 2006-7 financial year, which just came in. As I said, most of the details are boring, how much we spent on electricity, stationary, etc. I do however think it's interesting that we spent well over $80,000 on freight! Also, we had $13,794 in interest from the bank... but $11,046 in fees from them! The main bits for anyone curious about the financial return from art centres to the artists are....

Sales were just shy of last year's, at $1,938,771. Someday we'll actually hit 2 million, but for now, we can round up. ;-)

The payments to artists totalled $1,364,803 (the highest ever), which is right about 70% of the sales income.

Net profit for the year was $64,456, which can certainly be spent on infrastructure stuff around here, but most of it will be saved to make sure we've got operating funds in the bank in case we hit a dry spell in the business. That kind of money goes fast around here between wages and high end artworks which we often pay up to $5000 for, and even more in extremely rare cases. So that's a good bit of money to have to make sure we can keep buying art throughout the year.

Again, that's really nobody's business, but there's also no need for secrets so I thought I'd keep my word and let y'all know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.07.2007, 10:54 

Thanks Randy for being so open in posting Buku's financial details for us all to see. Definately not necessary in my view and as far as I am concerned none of my business really. I have bought instruments from 5 sources all of which pay the Aboriginal makers and artists for their work. I am not only happy they are treated and renumerated fairly but also that because of people like you I am able to own and play some of their outstanding creations.
To everyone else who has a gripe about the so called profits everyone seems to be making from the aboriginal people. Sometimes you need to exercise bit of trust in this world, not everyone is a money making enterpeneur. Check out some of these peoples sites it's obvious that they have the aboriginal peoples interests at heart, you would have to be very naive to think that think that any exploitation was going on. Yes instruments are sold and yes there is some profit involved, its how the world works, its how people survive , its why I can have a job and support my family because the Bank I work for makes a profit!!! What is wrong is exploitation, but to insinuate that this is going on here and then putting subtle pressure on some of the re-sellers to justify their small profits, I think is just not on. How many other companies have to justify their profits? Here in the UK, do you think the government are going to tell us how much a gallon of petrol really costs them when they charge us nearlly £5 a gallon(5 ltrs) for it!!!! I don't think so.. We have a supermarket chain here that seems to be taking over the country, where you can buy goods at ridiculously low prices ( a two man tent for the price of the said gallon of petrol!!!, electrical item!!!s for peanuts, all made in China, Taiwan,India. Do they have to justify exploiting under priveledged people? NO! but we do have the choice whether to buy this stuff or not. I am quite dismayed that this thread has degenerated to a point where others are questioning peoples motives in promoting the aboriginal culture to the rest of the world albeit by selling aboriginal works as part of the means of doing it. Where would we all be without these people who are so willing to spend their valuable time in promoting this for ours and the aboriginal peoples benefit. I for one would like to see and end to this kind of mentality on this thread, thats all I am going to say, apart from, STAN, you are an utter pratt!!! you create arguments just for the hell of it, your language is foul and quite honestly I don't think anyone on this forum would miss your arrogant attitude if you dropped of the earth tomorrow!!. It is quite clear that you are not going to believe anything that is explained here and will take issue with every argument put forward. I think you may need anger counselling cos you must be real fun to live with. Do us all a favour, ditch the atitude, we have all had enough of it. Better still, if none of us reply to you, you will have no fuel to put on your bitter and twisted fire!!! Over and out on this thread from me

Paul

Paul (ozmadman)
http://www.youtube.com/ozmadman

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11