THE SERIOUS STICKS DIDJERIDU FORUM

WELCOME !
It is currently 19.11.2018, 00:35

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Culture Police 2: Piccy!
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 10:43 

I'm starting a second thread so these important bits don't get missed. Honestly, I can't wait until this is behind us! I don't want to think about this and feel like I'm on a witch hunt anymore. But I'll point out that they've posted responses now, which you can find as an autoresponse to Lindsey's email address. It's full of excuses, half truths and misunderstanding of the problem, plus the assertion that they're going to keep doing what they do - except the painting part, I trust, although they didn't say so explicitly. I'm not going to dwell on it and break it apart here, though.

All the photos, even though they've removed the links to them, are still up and available to the amateur internet detective. I did some snooping to make sure Koori Mail had seen them so they knew what they were actually reporting on! I'll upload a small version of one for those here who didn't get to the site on time. This image was also sent around to homelands and discussed in today's Yirrkala Dhanbul Council meeting.

Here's the response sent from Yirrkala today, drafted in discussions with Djalu' Gurruwiwi and Wukun Wanambi, with a few additional comments added by the other endorsers, plus one person who I've unfortunately been unable to speak to to approve the final form. I'll also try to get a few additional endorsers from a few other clans tomorrow in time for Koori Mail's print deadline, but I think representation from people of leadership positions from 7 different clans, including Galarrwuy Yunupingu, is pretty good for two days' work!

Dang... I just copied and pasted, but now I've got to edit it for Yolngu characters that were in the original.... also this was on art centre letterhead.

21 February 2007

To: Dragon Fly Rhythms and Didgrevolution

We are Yolngu People of many clans from northeast Arnhem Land, Australia. Who are you? Where do you come from? We see designs painted on your bodies, but do not know where you got them from. We recognize some that trespass on Yolngu law and men’s ceremony. We have seen three bands with dots on your arms. For Galpu people, this is our private signature that relates to our saltwater country and the sacred olive python. We have seen the shape of Yirritja thunder clouds on your chest and face painting with dots reminiscent of Marrakulu, Galpu and Rirratjingu designs. Aboriginal People around the country have designs that belong to their individual clans, are part of their very identities and cannot be borrowed or imitated. Nor can new designs be made up. International law recognizes indigenous intellectual property – and is much kinder than traditional Aboriginal law.

When we see you painted brown to look like us, we think, are you making fun of us? Are you stupid? Do you have no identity of your own? Some of our leaders were very saddened to see video of you performing, and wished that the yidaki had never been shared with the rest of the world. But we do not wish to change the past and want the world to come together. We want you to play and enjoy the yidaki, but to be who you are. Do not imitate us.

We have also seen you sharing the story of the Djunggirriny’, one of the Galpu clan’s sacred yidaki, on your website, with no credit to its source. This story is ours to hold and ours to tell. Do not talk about what you do not know.

We see you saying you support Aboriginal People, but only see you selling didjeridus you have made for yourselves, while there are many Aboriginal People trying to earn a living from their own traditional craft, handed down by their ancestors. What was handed down to you by your ancestors?

Yidaki comes from a long time ago in our lives. We know where it has been and we see where it is going. For us, it is not just a puppet to make sounds. Yidaki is more precious and sacred to us than you imagine. To hear its proper use would change your tongues, your ways and your hearts.

If our own people trespass on Yolngu law, we bring them to ceremony, give them attention, talk together and decide the correct way forward. This is what we invite you to participate in. If you stand by what you have done and shown on your website for years, come and do it for the eyes of Yolngu and our leaders will see the truth of it for themselves and let you know what they think. We invite you to perform at the Garma Festival at Gulkula 3-7 August 2007 in an open forum for all Yolngu and other interested Aboriginal groups to see. You will then see the real thing, perhaps even our own ‘Dragon Fly Rhythm’.

We look forward to your response.

Djalu’ Gurruwiwi, Galpu clan
Galarrwuy Yunupingu, Gumatj clan
Djambawa Marawili, Madarrpa clan
Wukun Wanambi, Marrakulu clan
Nawurapu Wunungmurra, Dhalwangu clan
Djuwalpi Marika, Rirratjingu clan
Bakamumu Marika, Rirratjingu clan
Araluen Maymuru, Manggalili clan
Gulumbu Yunupingu, Gumatj clan

Attachments:
File comment: Cute!
The%20Rhythms%20page%20TBPAC%20Didg%20Rev%20audio%20video%20clip%20pic%20cropped[1].jpg
The%20Rhythms%20page%20TBPAC%20Didg%20Rev%20audio%20video%20clip%20pic%20cropped[1].jpg [ 25.68 KiB | Viewed 5645 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 10:55 

Well written Randy. Concise and to the point. I look forward to hearing their response!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 11:01 

Two days work. Not bad at all Randy.
I have pointed also the italian forum in this direction.. I wonder if it could be also translated given that it is a response of some importance for all interested in yidaki and Yolngu culture.

cheers,
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 11:04 

Oh dear :!: I never saw the pics :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 13:46 

the people in the pic is just plain stupid and ridiculous... i can't believe this is real... sad people makes sad things

Post subject: Nice letter
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 15:02 

This is a well stated, powerful letter. Great going Randy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21.02.2007, 18:21 

Very well done. Nice work, Randy!

http://youtube.com/throatsinger

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 10:04 

Ummm.... thanks for the compliments, but I was just the advisor/editor. The bulk of the ideas came from Djalu', his sister Dhangal, Wukun and Djawa Burarrwanga (Yirrkala's elected council chairman who I didn't get to show the final version to in time to go to press, but who has added his name now).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Culture Police 2: Piccy!
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 13:14 

Milawuy wrote:
But I'll point out that they've posted responses now, which you can find as an autoresponse to Lindsey's email address. It's full of excuses, half truths and misunderstanding of the problem, plus the assertion that they're going to keep doing what they do -

How is this part accomplished, the autoresponce to someone's e-mail? Is this on another thread?

I'd like to see their reaction.

Thanks.

Need translations? Try here:
http://translation2.paralink.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:14 

Milawuy wrote:
Ummm.... thanks for the compliments, but I was just the advisor/editor.

Well Done Randin!

Colin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:30 

What an insightful and powerful letter.

I never new I was this much of an optimist... I am finding myself hoping that these fellas actually go to Garma and return completely changed by the experience.

The insight into the thought processes of the individuals behind this letter is truly humbling in itself.

This letter is a perfect example of why we should not speak for others. They appear to be capable of doing that just fine themselves!

Thanks for sharing with us Randy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:30 

Send an email to lindseyd@dragonflyrhythms.com. Two days ago, there was a long autoresponse email that also linked to a website, see if it's still there.

I did get a brief response from the other guy, Jeremy Lembo, that seemed to say 'I don't care, piss off' to Arnhem Land leaders. I wrote back to assure him that this wasn't yet another of the abusive emails he must be getting, but an honest well thought out response from leaders of the culture he claims to admire, and to offer him another chance to respond. No further response in over a day. We'll see.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:34 

They, and no one linked from their site have replied to my many mails. The one you just posted is bouncing as the box is full.

If anyone has the reply I would love to see it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:36 

Colin wrote:
Milawuy wrote:
Ummm.... thanks for the compliments, but I was just the advisor/editor.

Well Done Randin!

Piss off, pal! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22.02.2007, 23:38 

Quote:
If anyone has the reply I would love to see it...

Me too.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next